The Moscow Expat Forums

Go Back   The Moscow Expat Forums > Moving to and living in Russia > The Basics

The Basics Finding a place to live, finding a better place to live, arranging and paying utilities, the cost of living etc

Post New Thread Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 04:31

Food Asian spices

I am wondering how widely Asian spices, vegetables and products are available in Moscow. I have been living in Bangkok and will be moving to Moscow soon - I want to know if you can get fish sauce, fresh coriander, chilli etc etc in Russia???
Old 02-03-2010, 08:32
senior 12" member

You can readily find things like fish sauce, chillies, fresh ginger, limes, fresh coriander fresh coconut, dried noodles, canned coconut milk. However, you will struggle to pick up things like galangal, lime leaves, and lemongrass, although Trebor/Benedikt (members here) always seem to have secret supplies from somewhere. There are a number of Thai restaurants here in the city and people there may even be good enough to help you source a few of the more exotic ingredients.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:47
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

The best bet for general spices is www.indianspices.ru Good for sauces (including fish sauces), dry ingredients and spices. Fresh coriander, chilli, and other basic stuff you can get anywhere. However, for obvious reasons getting hold of fresh Asian ingredients is going to be a massive headache. As lochnessmonster says above your best bet will be to speak to the Thai restaurants here and find out where they get their ingredients from. I know that some of them need to fly in ingredients from Thailand on a regular basis.
The Following User Says Thank You to Voodoo For This Useful Post: WhiteLight (04-03-2010)
Old 02-03-2010, 09:37
Jedi Knight

Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
The best bet for general spices is www.indianspices.ru Good for sauces (including fish sauces), dry ingredients and spices. Fresh coriander, chilli, and other basic stuff you can get anywhere. However, for obvious reasons getting hold of fresh Asian ingredients is going to be a massive headache. As lochnessmonster says above your best bet will be to speak to the Thai restaurants here and find out where they get their ingredients from. I know that some of them need to fly in ingredients from Thailand on a regular basis.
As Voodoo says, check the indianspices.ru. They have two shops, one in the south west region of moscow just 15 min. walk from metro and the other in the garden ring just outside the metro called Suhareevskaya (сухаревская).
But for fresh corriander and chilli check the local markets (but the chilli is not hot enough).
Old 12-03-2010, 12:02

I think you can also find some spices and interesting sauces in expensive supermarkets, somewhere downtown. Stockmann is very good, but now it is located outsied of Moscow (in Mega).
Old 13-03-2010, 10:06

there is a shop near yugozapadnaya that sell asian spices.. from lime grass to tom yam paste..
so dont worry..
u can get everything you want in moscow..
the problem is whether the price is reasonable for u or not..
Old 13-03-2010, 10:08
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by boya View Post
there is a shop near yugozapadnaya that sell asian spices.. from lime grass to tom yam paste..
so dont worry..
u can get everything you want in moscow..
the problem is whether the price is reasonable for u or not..
Fresh lemon grass?
Old 13-03-2010, 11:50
Banned

Thanked 1,611 Times in 832 Posts
I have seen fresh lemon-grass in Perekrestok and Azbuka Vkusa. Supplies seem to be a bit erratic. They also (sometimes!) sell a complete "pack" of Thai spices and herbs, usually filed with their packeted salads.
Old 14-03-2010, 11:49

not the fresh one..
but the dried lemon grass...
Old 16-03-2010, 10:59
Princeps

Most of these spices + foods are a available

Pm me and I will try to help tell you where to go

Most Rhinoks have most spices
Old 16-03-2010, 18:10
Filled with hatred and cruelty!

Thanked 11,509 Times in 7,126 Posts
Exactly. Go to nearest rynok and search for kiosk/table/tent with spices (специи и приправы).
Old 22-03-2010, 00:21

there's no way you find exotic (for russia) spices and vegetables at local rynok. Yes, sometimes there are lychees or mangos on the stand, but trust me you don't want to eat them...
For FRESH lemongras, spinach and so on I recommend STOCKMANN. btw prices are not that high at all, and comparing with AUCHAN... well all I want to say is that I'm willing to pay extra 20 for quality.
good luck with cooking, guys))!
Old 23-03-2010, 01:03

Hi,im malaysian and its actually not easy to find all the asian vegie and product here,but spices as they said you can easily obtained from indianspices...got few shops,i think vietnamese selling asian product,at green line metro south part,i forgot the name..but if you want the proper and fresh one,perekrestok and auchan always got sell quite few products,but the problem is the price will be alot,yes, a lot higher...anyway it's moscow,and nothing comes cheap here=)
Old 05-04-2010, 20:14

The Vietnamese Market in Mar'yina Rosha

That's my choice place to get cheap/fresh Asian stuff. From what I recall links are not allowed from here. Try "vegetarian+Asian+food+Moscow+Russia" in Google. To-fu is 30 roubles for a large brick and the freshness/overall quality is much superior to Moscow's "official" supermarkets. Thai peppers work out to about one rouble each. I found genuine stinking bamboo after 15 years without the stuff! The exact address is 17-й проезд Марьиной рощи, дом 11. Hope that reads.

Pasha

PS. Discretely ask for rice vodka and you'll learn the meaning of happiness.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Pasha For This Useful Post:: ReallyGreatConcerts (06-04-2010), Voodoo (05-08-2010)
Old 19-04-2010, 23:16

Originally Posted by karenski View Post
I am wondering how widely Asian spices, vegetables and products are available in Moscow. I have been living in Bangkok and will be moving to Moscow soon - I want to know if you can get fish sauce, fresh coriander, chilli etc etc in Russia???
Of course you can. Try to go to Azbuka vkusa or Dorogomilovsky runok
Closed Thread

Tags
asian, spices
Sponsored Links