The Moscow Expat Forums

Go Back   The Moscow Expat Forums > Moving to and living in Russia > Driving in Russia

Driving in Russia Buying a car, obtaining car documents, driving licence questions, servicing, annual technical certificate etc

Post New Thread Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 21:59
Jedi Knight

Thanked 3,940 Times in 2,857 Posts
Interesting argument here in Winter tyres of which we should be aware of in the EU for example I think all comes down to countries that have extremely cold snowey winters In my 30 plus years experience of driving in Britain, I felt no need of changing my tyres.. But maybe it is different in countries such as Russia. But as long as someone stated that after heavy falls of snow , a good regular tyre might be sufficient, as long as we have a good service of those constantly salting the snow, Of which I think we do in Russia, and other countries such as Sweden and Norway. For UK having heavy freak snow ovr a short period of time? No we don't.

But as I said every country is different. Read this informative link. http://www.etyres.co.uk/winter-tyres-law
Old 09-09-2010, 22:08

Winter tyres are made of softer rubber compounds, that ensure good traction during cold temperatures, as opposed to summer or "all season" tyres. They come with special thread patterns as well, designed to improve traction on winter specific road surfaces. For extreme conditions (such as black ice or hard packed snow) studded winter tyres have been developed; the steel bits bite into these harder surfaces for better grip. They do come with some tradeoffs.

Just google it ... plenty of information there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Northman For This Useful Post: Bels (09-09-2010)
Old 10-09-2010, 07:58

Land Rover wheels and other parts

Oh and while we are on the subject I am chasing a set of second hand wheels too, any ideas where I might find them for an old Range Rover? My Russian is non existant!
-- I have 4 extra wheels for my old Range Rover but I doubt that we use the same "old". Mine is Discovery 1, 1995. The wheels are just plain steel, not aluminum alloy, rusted and dented but still of the right shape and usable. They take up space and I'm thinking of getting rid of them. There is a definite tendency for my apartment to turn into a parts warehouse. Got to be stopped.

-- Land Rover parts are hard enough to find even with Russian and a good knowledge of the city. I can give you a list of dealers and "razborka's" I call when in need of parts but I doubt the characters who populate these establishments speak English. www.landspirit.ru (seems to be the best place for parts) does have an English page.

Pasha

PS. I used to prefer "tyres" but found that the "tire", "color" etc. crowd is nicer.
Old 10-09-2010, 15:22
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Pasha View Post
-- I have 4 extra wheels for my old Range Rover but I doubt that we use the same "old". Mine is Discovery 1, 1995. The wheels are just plain steel, not aluminum alloy, rusted and dented but still of the right shape and usable. They take up space and I'm thinking of getting rid of them. There is a definite tendency for my apartment to turn into a parts warehouse. Got to be stopped.

-- Land Rover parts are hard enough to find even with Russian and a good knowledge of the city. I can give you a list of dealers and "razborka's" I call when in need of parts but I doubt the characters who populate these establishments speak English. www.landspirit.ru (seems to be the best place for parts) does have an English page.

Pasha

PS. I used to prefer "tyres" but found that the "tire", "color" etc. crowd is nicer.
Thanks Pasha but I might want to go a little more upmarket! A set of used alloys in decent condition would be fine. Couldn't seem to get the English page working on your link?
Old 14-09-2010, 18:10
New to Kazan

Sex Why Not Studded Snow Tires?!

I've lived in snow climates all my life. I wouldn't drive without them in the winter. Best on ice and hard packed snow. Any tire is almost as good as another in soft snow. Here in Kazan the city does a poor job of plowing and sanding the streets, in other words it's a mess! And no matter how careful and prudent a driver you are, Russia has more of it's fair share of crazy and reckless "drivers". By the way, if you have a "Metro" store outlet there in Moscow, they are now having a sale on studdend snow tires (9-2010) Buy 3 and get the 4th free starting at 2000 rubles...and they are "Bridgestone". Not too shabby of a deal.
Cheers!
Old 16-09-2010, 09:00

Are you kidding? You definitely need them! If not you could be slipping around all over the place! It could be dangerous!
Old 17-09-2010, 23:18

Tyres

Hey you can have 4x4, 6x6 or 8x8 but when its very cold and the road is made of ice not fluffy wet snow like in the uk the only thing that will give you grip is studded tyres. In the uk a range rover or other 4x4 running on average tyres will get you most places. But when you are driving just on solid ice which is dry untill you spin a tyre on it and it melts a bit due to the friction and the water produced makes it slippy then what ever tread pattern you have becomes irrelevent. Tyre rubber compound makes a big differnce, summer "hot" tyres are hard rubber, they are more cut resistant and less flexible when cold. Winter tyres or mud and snow tyres tend to be more flexible, softer less speed capable, open tread, sometimes self cleaning or directional like a tractor tyre and will help in wet snot and mud. But when it gets cold and stays cold for long periods we dont need to cut througfh the slush to get get grip we need to grip the ice and only studed tyres are good for this and i have been surprised at how well they work especially in the towns and cities of the north. I have two sets of tyres for my 2 wd drive car and i get get anywhere in winter on studded tyres. I have never seen studded tyres for sale in the uk because we really dont need them Interesting subject with a lot of missunderstood bulshit
Old 17-09-2010, 23:26

Tyre

Guys I would rather be comfortable that my car will stop when i want it to and go round corners rather tahn straight on! than maybe be a tiny bit less noisy and more comfortable... are you real? we drive round in minus 50 in the north, comfort is getting between A and B successfully
Old 23-09-2010, 13:15
Contributing Member

Comfort not an issue

Originally Posted by Bourne End View Post
Guys I would rather be comfortable that my car will stop when i want it to and go round corners rather tahn straight on! than maybe be a tiny bit less noisy and more comfortable... are you real? we drive round in minus 50 in the north, comfort is getting between A and B successfully

Comfort is not an issue in my case. My main concern with studded tires is that I have read quite few reports that say they increase your breaking distance on dry or cleared roads. This is a concern with an almost 3,000kg Land Rover!

As I have already said I won't be driving on ice most of the time because I live in the centre of Moscow, but I might want to travel to countryside.

For the record, I have still not made a decision, but I am leaning towards studs simply because I will be selling my car in a couple of years time and most Muscovites seem to prefer studs.
Old 16-11-2010, 11:12
Jedi Knight

You can't cover everything. Studded work well on ice, where all other tires don't (even winter tires don't have much to say on actual ice) but the downside of studded is that they are outright dangerous in "normal" wet or dry conditions. That's why they are even illegal in some european countries that don't see much ice or heavy snow in winter and have asfalt roads.

I would say the vast majority of winter time in Moscow you will not be driving on ice. In regular slushy snow a non studded winter tire is perfect. Therefore on average it is best to not have studs in your tires. Studs and asfalt don't like each other, studs need something to dig into. So in a +/- fully asfalted city studded should not be an option. If you drive into the countryside you will still be fine if you have all wheel drive. I'm guessing the countryside isn't very busy so judge your braking distances carefully, traction will be fine.

Personally I had trouble finding suitable 18" winter wheels, called several places I found online and none had the wheels I needed in stock So now I had to spend as much on 19" winter tires as normally I'd pay for 18" wheels + tires
Old 26-01-2011, 10:45

Originally Posted by Aussie1973 View Post
Comfort is not an issue in my case. My main concern with studded tires is that I have read quite few reports that say they increase your breaking distance on dry or cleared roads. This is a concern with an almost 3,000kg Land Rover!

As I have already said I won't be driving on ice most of the time because I live in the centre of Moscow, but I might want to travel to countryside.

For the record, I have still not made a decision, but I am leaning towards studs simply because I will be selling my car in a couple of years time and most Muscovites seem to prefer studs.
Studded tyres are of no use in Moscow, I suggest to get decent 'sticky' studdless tyres, like Yokohama Iceguard IG20 or Ig30 which behave on ice almost like studded ones - I have no problem going up a completely icy road with the 40-degree inclination when I leave my garage.
Old 04-02-2011, 13:00

Hello

Don't get a had ache. If your car is big and you're staying in the city - no problem.
Closed Thread

Tags
studded, tires
Sponsored Links